You are hereForums /

MTY's picture

Evening Rides

G'day
I've just found you site and thought I'ld say g'day.

I'm looking for other people to go riding with of an afternoon, or weekend. I live at Narrabeen mostly ride at Cromer, Redhill area.

I mostly ride around 4-4;30 pm to about 6-6:30pm if anyone is interested.

Regards
Mark

Matt's picture

Digital camera's suitable for off-roading

Tired of being unable to record my ignominy and new to the world of megapixel envy I'm after hints/tips/experiences from those wiser. I have a habit of bashing stuff up pretty quickly (mobile phones my speciality) and getting dusty and grimey for fun so are there any reasonbly hardy cameras out there that are reliable and half decent quality for not too much money?

Ta,
Matt.

And if anybody just happens to be heading orient ward...

Paul's picture

Manly Dam Sunday Arvo 4/2

If anybody is interested I'm going to do a lap of Manly Dam at 4.30pm this afternoon.

I'm planning on a good pace (to improve fitness, but not a hot lap) and crossing over to Bantry Bay and maybe some of the Forestville trails.

See you at the Lab at 4.30pm. I drive a Blue Subaru Liberty Wagon

Paul

Little-Ditty's picture

A poll of sorts --> your favourite ride, and why?

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

So as we all branch out and explore new rides, our portfolio of completed trails gets ever larger. For varying reasons, we seem to prefer some rides over others. Some of us like the dangerous ones. Some like to be tested for fitness and stamina. Whatever ride you prefer, you want to go back to this favourite ride over and over again. And you don't ever tire of it.

So what is your favourite? And why?

Having thought about this question, I initially picked Oxford Falls, because it has that 'bit of everything'. But I changed my mind to Red Hill. It has my preferred mix of technical downhill action that seems to just hit the spot for me. Especially when combined with a heavy duty bike that can hack all the rocky drop-offs.

cuffey's picture

Hey
I have just found ur asweome website. Is there any age limit of mountain biking?? Do you look out for each other when riding??

gtwanabee's picture

OT: Silly question-is there much xc riding in Sydney to keep me happy if I move there for a a few yrs?

Well I live in old England but moving due to work and my GF is missing her Sydney (north shore?) home.

I ride xc and fear I won't find local rides like I do over here!

Should I just buy a road bike?

Help!

Truthman's picture

Wrist Guards, and the Most Common Mountain Bike Injuries

Wrist guards: I have tried quite a few different wrist guards on my bike: skating, snowboarding, and even expensive mountain-bike specific ones made by 661. I finally settled with some wristguards made by Rollerblade, (already on my second set): http://www.ssb5.net/users/20068/picture_959_1167...

They are very sturdy, and have saved me from a broken wrist I am sure. They are very uncomfortable for the first week or so (sore palm), but after that you don't notice them, now I do +50km of all-mountain riding with them, including technical stuff, no problems. I wear them with gloves that don't have padding on the palm of the hand.

Peter R's picture

Oxford Falls, Sat 3-2-07, 8am.

Mildish downhill, nursery rhymes, power lines, up 4wd track, down shute etc.
Morgan road car park 8am. No ride if raining.
Peter

akk's picture

Another newbie...

Hey Northern Beaches mtb community,

Just a quick email and rambling...to introduce myself.

me = Mtbing for 2 years, entered a few monts, polaris..next challenge is the dirtworks in May.

This seems to be a very well organised forum and I look forward to heading out on a nobmob cycle and discover somewhere other than the favourite manly dam....

Tanya - I think I may have met you on Farkin, we tried to meet up but had crossed wires one day...??

Anna

flobach's picture

Sunday, 4th ride

Hi everyone!
Need to get back on my bike...and sundays the day!
I'm open for anyhting really, would like to do Oxford Falls again though. Any suggestions, I'm open for them!

Timewise...sometime earlyish would be good to avoid the *maybe* heat.

Lets Ride and Rock Smiling

christine's picture

Saturday ride

Hello!
Ages ago Rob took some of us on a ride from Oxford Falls...we went up Hilversum Cres, down through to join the Five Mile Creek and then finished up with the cross country course - well, I was thinking about doing that this Saturday if anyone is interested...Minus that horrid steep hill which, didn't have a fantastic view at the top!!
We met at the usual spot - I need to do a morning ride but am not really fussed whether it's really early or normal time...

MEEE Smiling

Stuart M's picture

Refuel on Sunday

What could be better after a hard ride on Sunday in the Belrose area than to fuel up on a fresh sausage sanga and a cold drink?

Yes thats right, this is an unashamed plug for our schools fundraiser this weekend at Bunnings Belrose. We are trying to raise much needed funds to refurbish the pool that has sat empty for the last 3 1/2 years at my girls primary school. Seems that us Catholics get forgotten by both sides of the political fence when it comes to school funding, but thats another gripe not for here.

Anyway if your anywhere near Belrose Bunnings this Sunday between 8.30 and 3 and are feeling peckish please drop in and grab a feed. If your not feeling peckish, drop in anyway and throw a cold coin our way.

Alex's picture

ongoing mooney mooney saga :) --

anyone up for a ride at mooney mooney or ourimbah on sat? i really wanna do ourimbah again, but also wouldnt mind checking out mooney mooney too...

Matt's picture

Auckland riding

I'm in Aucland for the next three weekends (with the bike!) and looking for some new riding. I've been and done Woodhill and the other bikeparks spot south of Auckland and have been down to Taupo/Rotorua. I'll hit these spots up again but was wondering if anyone else had hot tips for rides elsewhere in/around Auckland?

Ta,
Matt.

tienster's picture

Tuesday evening (30/01/07) Terry Hills

Where: Terry Hills - the usual run, but open for suggestions. Meet at the shops as usual
When: Tuesday 30/01/2007 at 7pm for 7.30pm start
Starters: Tien, Stuart, and Christine

Please post here if you are coming

Tien

Tanya's picture

Narrabeen lake

Does anyone feel like an easy ride around Narrabeen lake this afternoon/early evening? I'm going to head out for a 6pm start, come along if you're interested. We can meet at Jamieson Park. PM or post back for my phone number to ensure we hook up.
T

GAZZA's picture

accomodation

i know ive only met a few of you a couple of times and this has nothing really to do with mountain biking but im looking for accomodation in the nortern beaches area. i thought id ask on here as id rather be moving in with someone who shares simillar interests rather than some slob who gets in every sat night/sun morning from the pub and brings all his/her mates with them. im currently living in bilgola but am getting divorced, hence the reason why i havn't been out with you guys since the first weekends ride at ourimbah and manly. anyway,its just a stab in the dark, im impeccably tidy and need a place with a lock up for bikes and a few tools. if anyone knows of anyone or anywhere then please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Alex's picture

interesting site

some of u may find this useful, it appears u can download and watch alot off this stuff for free, lots of instructional mountain bike things like how to's of trials, downhilling etc etc..and some other vids like elements etc.. http://www.totalvid.com/Mountain-Bike-Videos/Ins...

Tanya's picture

Canberra weekend away to ride!

Hi there,
I thought I'd take the bull by the horns and sort some things out for myself. I know I don't know anyone here yet but this seemed like a good way to meet people and combine the kind of rides I know I can do! Is anyone interested in doing a weekend away in Canberra to ride in Majura, Sparrow Hill or Stromlo? A whole weekend is plenty of time to fit in quite a few different sites. And with the hot weather at the moment, the idea of riding in the cool pine forests is very attractive.

I was thinking of a weekend late in Feb or early in March if others are keen but I don't have any date set in my mind. Make a suggestion! I will probably head down there on a Friday night to get started early on Sat morning to make the most of it and head back Sunday afternoon, not too late. I have camping gear so could either do the whole nature thing or pamper my soreness after the ride with a motel/hotel.

Little-Ditty's picture

A riding holiday I was thinking about

Hi all,

Based on some of the good chat I hear from other riders about MTB riding tours in the snowies, I decided to spent some time researching MTB riding holidays. So far, Thredbo seemed to be the most professional looking outfit with their 'Cannonball Run' downhill course, plus some other dedicated XC trails. You would definitely want to do a bit of everything.

Some handy info I located was here:

http://www.thredbo.com.au/thingstodo/summer/acti...

and here:

http://www.rawnrg.com.au/rawnrg.net/default.aspx

From my reading, the cost for a few days away would be pretty competitive with any other holiday you would go on, on a day-by-day basis. I estimate that this would be between $500 to $1,000 for at least a few days away - cheaper if you have been there before.

Alex's picture

coffs region

does anyone know where i can find trails or maps of trails or whatever in the coffs harbour area? i saw some photos on this site, and have been looking the last 2 times i was there, but no luck...just thought someone may have been on some here?

Caro's picture

The Oaks on Sunday the 28th, 7am

Hi there!

Anybody up for a return trip on the Oaks trail this Sunday?

7am start at Glenbrook carpark (by bike) riding to Woodford and back (by bike).Laughing out loud

Just to test what 50km feel like and for the fun of it Smiling!!

Have a great day!
Caro

Matt's picture

Pad recommendations

OK so after gushing a bit on Sunday I'm considering taking the plunge into uncomfortable silly looking arm pads. My (ideal...) criteria are:

- Must cover from (full) elbow to at least half way to the wrist with something fairly solid
- Upper arm coverage would be preferable but not a deal breaker
- Must stay in place! Especially under duress
- Not too hot or motion restrictive
- No annoying itchy velcro bits on the straps when they're put onto bare arms

So does anybody currently use something that fits the bill? Any good/bad experience with brands? Any bike stores worth noting as having a good stock of reasonably priced quality stuff?

Bernd's picture

Australia Day - Friday 26th at 6-30am - Manly Dam

Dave and I will be @ Manly Dam at the early Start!
any takers please let me know, so we wait!!
Bernd 0412001180

Best Mountain Bike